SAGHS welcomes all who share an interest in family history in West Texas!
San Angelo, Texas circa 1880s
We invite you to explore our website and consider becoming a member of our society. SAGHS is a nonprofit organization founded in 1973 to promote interest in genealogy and history. It is a society for everyone, from the beginner to the most advanced genealogist researching anywhere in the world. Subscribe to our newsletter HERE.
The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the charitable organization (SAGHS) selected by you!. To shop through smile.amazon.com and raise money for SAGHS, simply go to www.smile.amazon.com
and select San Angelo Genealogical and Historical Society
as your preferred charity. Then just shop as usual, Amazon takes care of the rest! (Click the image to go there now!)
Special Interest Groups
SAGHS has started two Special Interest Groups (SIGs), one on DNA and another based on Thomas McEntee's Genealogy Do-Over Program.
The Do-Over SIG (aka Organizing your Research) will meet immediately after the 3rd Monday Genealogy Luncheon (about 12:45 p.m.) in the west end of the Rio Concho Manor dining hall. This is a great SIG for those who want to get started or just get organized. You don't have to buy a meal at McGowan's to participate in this SIG.
The DNA SIG meets at 6:00 p.m. just prior to our regular meetings the first Tuesday of each month, September through May, in the conference room at Trinity Lutheran Church. No registration is required, just show up!
There are two
more Saturday afternoon seminars taught by Susan Ball which replaced the Winter/Spring classes of years past. Each seminar comprises several sessions and will be 2-3 hours in length, providing ample time for questions, discussion and problem solving. Unless otherwise noted, all seminars will take place at 1:30 p.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church, 3536 Lutheran Way (formerly YMCA Drive). The registration fee for each
seminar is $15 for members; $20 for non-members, and $25 after the early registration deadline. Register by contacting Susan as shown below. The early registration deadline for the next seminar is February 25th
. Pay registration fees on or before that date to save $5.00! You may mail your check or pay online
. For more information, contact Susan Ball at SAGHS email
February 27th: Genealogy Computer Programs (or, What Am I Going to do About Family Tree Maker) (2 sessions): Selecting and Making the Most of Your Family Tree Computer Program. Various programs on laptops will be available for attendees to try out.
March 12th (tentative date): A Very Basic Introduction to DNA for Genealogists (2 sessions): This two-session seminar introduces DNA for genealogy, DNA tests, how DNA helps genealogists and more.
Save Texas History on the Road
Meet with GLO staff on the road as they travel around Texas sharing archival resources with teachers, genealogists, historians, and those interested in Texas History. Below is a list of where they'll be.
• February 10 - Burnet Rotary Club - Burnet, TX
• February 10 - Evening for Educators at the Bullock Museum - Austin, TX
• February 11 - AISD Social Studies Leadership Council - Austin, TX
• February 25 - Villa San Agustín de Laredo Genealogical Society - Laredo, TX
• February 27-28 - Cy-Fair Home and Garden Show - Cypress, TX
• March 3-5 - 120th Texas State Historical Assoc. Annual Meeting - Irving, TX
• March 7 - AISD Texas History Night - Austin, TX
• March 17 - Texas Society of Professional Surveyors Local Chapter - Austin, TX
• March 19 - History Center of Aransas County - Rockport, TX
• April 1-2 - Texas Map Society Spring Meeting - Corpus Christi, TX
• April 9 - 16th Annual San Jacinto Symposium - Houston, TX
• April 23 - The 2016 San Jacinto Day Festival and Battle Reenactment - San Jacinto Monument (La Porte)
• April 29 - May 1 - Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum Presents: Lone Star History Conference - Waco, TX
Be sure to click on Events (on left menu) to see our upcoming activities, plus Area Events and other Genealogy Society Events! Also, check the Surname Registry to find and communicate with others who may be researching your family lines (if you need to add your surnames let us know at one of the monthly meetings!)