From the Junction of US 83 and FM 1929, north of Paint Rock, go east on FM 1929 for 7.4 miles. The cemetery is on the left side of the road. There is a brick and iron fence with a gate.
COMMUNITY OF CONCHO
As settlers came to the area in the late 1800s, a small farming community developed here along the Concho River. In 1905 a post office opened in the home of W. D. Cape. In 1906 J. W. Barr (d.1964) opened a general store at this site. As the business center for the surrounding rural area, the settlement was also the site of a school, two churches, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a cemetery. Although the population had declined by the 1940s and the post office was closed in 1954, the site of the pioneer community serves as a reminder of the area’s early settlers.
(Historic Marker placed 1983)
This cemetery has been abstracted by SAGHS members. The abstracted information can be found in our Stalkin' Kin in Old West Texas quarterly publication:
Vol. 6, Iss. 1, Pg. 39-41
Vol.15, Iss. 2, Pg. 76-81
All issues of the Stalkin' Kin are offered for sale in the "Store" and also available at monthly meetings and other events. If you wish to pick up one at a monthly meeting, please give prior notice so we can be sure to have it on hand.